What Is Ocean Literacy?
Ocean literacy is an understanding of the ocean’s influence on you—and your influence on the ocean.
An ocean-literate person:
- understands the Essential Principles and Fundamental Concepts about the ocean
- can communicate about the ocean in a meaningful way
- is able to make informed and responsible decisions regarding the ocean and its resources.
The 7 Essential Principles of Ocean Sciences
- The Earth has one big ocean with many features.
- The ocean and life in the ocean shape the features of Earth.
- The ocean is a major influence on weather and climate.
- The ocean made Earth habitable.
- The ocean supports a great diversity of life and ecosystems.
- The ocean and humans are inextricably interconnected.
- The ocean is largely unexplored.